Sephora.com, Inc.

Aug 4, 2013

My makeup diary: Can a foundation clear up your acne?

The claims:
One of my favorite brands, Hourglass Cosmetics, came out with a foundation in 2012 that was meant to give an oil-absorbing, matte finish.  What ended up happening was they were getting emails, letters, and pictures from customers claiming that their Immaculate Liquid Powder Foundation ($55) actually changed their skin for the better.  Inspired by all the feedback, Hourglass decided to conduct a 4-week study of 30 women with acne-prone &/or oily skin, where they got the following results:

- 100% reported an improvement in overall skin appearance and skin smoothness.
- 100% reported that the product worked without drying skin out.
- 83% reported a decrease in oil production and the need for touch-ups.
- 80% reported a visible improvement in acne scars.
- 70% reported a visible improvement in pore size.
- 63% reported a reduction in the severity of breakouts.
Keep in mind we're talking about a foundation here, and not some sort of skin treatment.  Pretty impressive, eh?  I absolutely had to try this for myself.    

My skin type:
Keep in mind that my skin is generally NOT acne-prone, primarily because of birth control that I take.  However, in the sweaty summer months I get some lame acne, and year-round I do deal with hormonal breakouts monthly.  And let's not forget about random stress breakouts, because they happen to the best of us.  Despite random breakouts, most of the time I stay away from acne products because of their drying nature, but this product is supposed to give you a nice finish without drying the skin out.  So why not?  
My results:
This stuff is definitely impressive.  It's perfect for skin that gets oily, whether it's a daily concern, or if you're like me and just get oily in the summer.  The finish is matte, and stays that way for hours.  There's no worry that you're going to look like an oil-slick by lunchtime with this foundation.  But, very important for me personally, it was not drying.  In fact, it has anti-aging ingredients, so it's not just zapping the oil from your skin, it's providing you with anti-oxidant protection to prevent future damage to the skin.  One problem I did have with the foundation was that I didn't realize how quickly it turned from liquid to powder (hello, maybe I should read the bottle next time) so I was a little too leisurely with my first application, but in the grand scheme of things that is no big deal when it comes to having a flawless, matte finish.  This foundation definitely gets my recommendation for people with oily skin, and is going into permanent rotation in my makeup wardrobe.             
Other makeup used in this post:
Jane Iredale PureLash Lengthening Mascara ($18)
Because I can always count on Jane Iredale mascaras to NOT irritate my eyes.  This particular formula gives me natural, feather-like lashes, so it's perfect for any day of the week.  It also has moisturizing ingredients like seaweed lipids and wheat proteins, so you're actually nourishing them and helping them to grow longer and healthier.      
Jouer Tint in Amaryllis ($20) 
Jouer Tint is a go-to product for me.  It's always in my bag in case I want to use on my cheeks or my lips (and sometimes a little bit on the tip of my nose so I'll look sun-kissed).  I own several shades, but this particular shade is a sheer, vibrant pink that is perfect for a dewy glow.   
Lipstick Queen Endless Summer lipstick in Stoked ($22) 
This summertime pink-coral can be sheer or really bright depending on how you layer it on.  One thing it is not is drying.  Your lips will feel moist all day with this product.  
Blink Brow Bar Eyebrow Gel in Indian Chocolate 
I have to admit that, especially for someone with very thin eyebrows, I absolutely hate filling my eyebrows in.  I have some eyebrow products that I really enjoy, but if I'm looking for a quick-fix (which is basically every morning of my life) I stick to this gel.  I apply it just like I would a coat of mascara, and then I'm good to go.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...