Sephora.com, Inc.

Nov 29, 2015

Gwen Stefani X Urban Decay Eyeshadow Palette

Warning: this post is going to be loaded with Gwen Stefani puns, so buckle up.  


IT'S FINALLY HERE!  I could not be more thrilled that I ordered the Gwen Stefani x Urban Decay eyeshadow palette on November 22nd and it arrived at my house ON MY BIRTHDAY.  Happy birthday to me!  I'm so excited about it that I want to share every moment with you, from the little details of the amazing case it comes in, to the little quote from Gwen inside on the mirror, and, of course, swatches and looks to try.   
Magic's in the makeup

 The colors are awesome, as you can imagine.  I like this palette because, unlike most palettes I buy, I would wear almost all the colors in it.  The only color I really can't see myself wearing is Harajuku.  That's 1 color out of 15 that I might not wear.  That's incredible, because normally I end up using maybe 3-4 shades and the rest are just eye candy.  Most of the shades are just beautiful, easy-to-wear colors.  I don't want to call them "neutrals" because most of them have a metallic feel to them that elevates them past a normal neutral.  But the pop colors.... holy cow, they are amazing!  Danger is the sickest color and I can't wait to wear it every second of my life. 
From left to right: Blonde, Bathwater, Skimp, Steady, Punk

From left to right: Baby, Anaheim, Stark, Zone, Serious

From left to right: Pop, Harajuku, Danger, 1987, Blackout
 I know everyone and their mother will be doing how-to-look-like-Gwen makeup ideas, but I thought it would be more helpful to show how versatile the palette is.  You don't just have to look like Gwen (although, hello, she's amazing).  You can do day looks, night looks, and anything else you can think of with this palette.
SUNDAY MORNING:
 The most easy-breezy of the looks, perfect for palling around on Sundays.  For this one I used Blonde as a highlight right beneath the brow, and Anaheim as the base, all over the lids up to the brow highlight.  Anaheim is a perfect matte taupe so I dare to say it will be my most-used color of the palette.  I used Bathwater on the inner corners of the eyes, and Baby as a pop in the center of the lid.  I used Serious as a liner, a smokey grey with a little bit of iridescent pearl shimmer, because it's a lot less severe than using a black for a daytime look.    
LET ME BLOW YA MIND:
As I said before, Danger is such an amazing color, so I had to use it for a nighttime look.  For this look I just used Danger on the lower part of the lid, winging out at the sides for an exaggerated cat-eye style, and then used 1987 on the upper part of the lid.  A situation like this is the perfect time to keep a clean, fluffy blending brush handy to blend the colors.  I pretty much always have a clean brush on hand for blending, but it's especially important if you have dramatic, highly-pigmented colors like this that you're working with.    


(AIN'T NO) HOLLABACK GIRL:
This is the kind of thing you can wear to work or on a date without looking too severe.  It's a little bit smokey, but not aggressive.  Normally I'd say make sure to have a nice, sculpted brow here, a la Gwen.  You can use shades from the palette to fill in brow hairs, but I just got mine tinted yesterday so I didn't have to.  Anaheim and Zone are great brow colors for my complexion.
Anyhoo, what I did use for this look was Skimp as a brow bone highlight, and then Zone all over the lid, up to the brow bone highlight, as a base.  Next, I used Punk very lightly on the outer corners of my lids and up into the crease.  Use a gentle hand with this, buffing as you go, because you can always put more on, but it's hard to take it off if you start with too much product.  These are Urban Decay shadows we're talking about here, so the color pay-off is amazing and you only need a little to start with.  Next, I did just a little pop of Steady in the middle of the lid, and a touch of Pop on the inner corners of the eye.  I lined the eyes with Blackout, and voila!  
Other items I used in the makeup looks: Naked Skin Weightless Ultra Definition Makeup, Naked Skin Ultra Definition Loose Finishing Powder, Weightless Complete Coverage Concealer, Eyeshadow Primer Potion in Enigma, Perversion Mascara, and Subversion Lash Primer.  If you haven't tried Perversion and Subversion yet, seriously, WHAT YOU WAITING FOR? On my lips I used a sample of Gwen Stefani Lipstick in Ex-Girlfriend that came in the box.  I am 100% buying that the minute they announce it's launching.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...