Sephora.com, Inc.

Feb 13, 2014

RED is the new black

My red locks after a session with Aura
I'm a natural blonde that has spent the better part of my life covering up what other people pay a lot of money to have. Same thing with my curly texture. I've basically destroyed my curls via Keratin treatments and whatnot, trying to have stick-straight hair (and now that it's stick straight, I miss my curls). I've had every hair. I've had black. I've had blonde. Caramel. Honey. Chocolate. You name it, I've tried it. Except red. My whole life, every colorist I came across wanted to make me a ginger. I never just said NO. It was more like I put up a violent protest against red strands. Until I fell in love with a colorist, who I've been loyal to for about five years now. She's given me ombre without wrecking my hair. She's made me a summery California blonde without any brassiness in sight. Obviously she's given me the richest of browns that you can imagine. So one day I just strolled into Sally Hershberger and told my buddy, Aura, that I wanted to be a redhead. I would trust nobody but her to do the task, and let me tell you, it was life-altering. Now I'm a redhead, and I don't know if I'll ever go back (ok, who am I kidding? I like to change it up a bit... so let's not say NEVER). Aura doesn't just give you the trends as you see them in the magazines, although she excels at them. She actually talks to you, LOOKS at you, and gives you a color that will work for you. I can walk in and tell her "I want Gisele's color" and she'll give me the most perfect version of Gisele's color for my skin tone. So, for the past 3 months, I've had about 1,000 compliments on my natural-looking red color. From other hair stylists. From models backstage at Fashion Week. Everywhere I go someone comments on my color. I would be a big, fat liar if I said I didn't love the attention. So, in honor of all things amazing that are happening on my head right now, I bring you my favorite red products, just in time for V-day.
Illamasqua lipstick in Maneater
So I never thought I'd love another lipstick the way I love Illamasqua's Box, but now I have the conundrum of falling madly in love with their newest red: Maneater.  The newest collection by Illamasqua, I'm The One, is all about self-love and embracing Numero Uno, so the brand has taken to social media to encourage followers to send pictures of themselves wearing these sultry shades, using the hashtag #ImTheOne.  And, trust me, this lipstick shade will make you want to take selfies right and left.  It's a classic red shade, but with a matte twist.  The intense color will last all day without making lips feel dry and crackly.    
Davines Alchemic Red shampoo and conditioner
The Davines Alchemic line is all about concentrated pigments, for natural or color-treated hair.  Alchemic shampoo contains a gentle cleanser derived from olive oil, but while hair is being cleansed the shampoo deposits pigments onto the hair.  The conditioner also deposits pigments, and hydrates the hair using milk proteins.  With the combo, hair is left brighter, more vibrant, and moisturized, rather than stripped of your color.  I use the Red line, but it's also available in Silver (not just for grey hair, also for blonde hair that's been over-exposed to the sun), Golden, Copper, Tobacco, and Chocolate.  This stuff really is genius for your color-treated hair (or natural hair), and bonus that it keeps your hair smelling as good as it is moisturized.  






Deborah Lippmann Supermodel
You ever wish you could have that fun, sheer, candy-colored nail lacquer, but without being all streaky or cheap looking?  Well this the nail lacquer for you.  I would call it a "jelly" nail color.  This is such an easy red for anybody to wear because it's so sheer, but you can build the color to be more intense, without any streaks in sight.  Dree Hemingway collaborated with Lippmann to create this incredible color, and I really haven't found anything else quite like it.  If you're scared of reds, this is a good foray into the world of red.  It's flirtatious and fun.      
Becca Beach Tint in Papaya
I'm obsessed with Becca's Beach Tint.  There's no other way to say it.  I love every single shade.  I love the texture.  I love what it does to my skin.  If you're not familiar with Beach Tint, it's mostly used for a long-lasting cheek color, but it really is a multi-use product because it makes for a great lip color as well.  it has the long wear of a stain, but is a lot easier to manage without staining your fingers and ending up with weird streaks on your face.  It's a wet product, but once it dries down, it stays put.  Papaya is their hot red shade, and the smallest amount gives you an incredibly fresh just-off-the-beach look.  It's also a great shade to use on darker skin tones.  Don't let the name fool you though, this is not something to use just during the summer.  I use it year round!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...