Sephora.com, Inc.

Dec 29, 2013

I still want my home to smell like the holidays

Nothing gets me in the holiday spirit like making my apartment smell of pine trees, spices, and familiar scents from my childhood home.  Just because Christmas is over, does that mean I can't keep the holiday scents in my home?  Maybe it was growing up in Upstate NY (which most NYC-folk would consider "the country") that makes me crave the scent of pine, juniper berries, and other nature-inspired fragrances, but this recent trip home over the holidays has me craving those smells.  I'm now going into overdrive to make my apartment fully immersed in Christmastime scents. 
Here are some of my current faves (hurry though, supplies of these products are limited!):

Mrs. Meyers Cranberry-
Not a lot of description is required on this one because it just smells simply of cranberry!  No over-complicated top notes or anything like that, just fresh, delicious, and memory-inspiring ole cranberry.  I like Mrs. Meyers products in my home because of the smell (duh), but also because you're using more natural ingredients in your home and on your skin.  You never walk out of a room that's been cleaned with Mrs. Meyers feeling like you're dizzy and need to open a window.  Thelma A. Meyers has made it her life's work to bring us quality products that inspire memories and keep toxic chemicals out of our homes.  If Cranberry isn't memory-inspiring enough for you, you can try her other seasonal holiday scents like Orange Clove and Iowa Pine.  I dare you not to get all misty-eyed and nostalgic when you smell these scents.  You can choose from all-purpose cleaner, dish soap, hand soap, or candles to bring these scents into your home.    

Caldrea's Juniper Laurel Mint-
Speaking of a company that's committed to using non-toxic ingredients, Caldrea also uses natural essential oils to bring amazing scents to your cleaning products, no harsh stuff necessary.  I love all their seasonal scents, like I do with Mrs. Meyers, but I chose Juniper Laurel Mint because it has a piny scent that is made fresh with notes of eucalyptus, juniper berries, and mint.  My boyfriend's childhood home is Santa Fe, so the smell of juniper (unbeknownst to him since he is not in charge of the fragrances I choose for the apt) is something I pick to make him feel the comfort of his youth.  Also, eucalyptus, juniper, and mint are all thought to have healing properties.  Caldrea's other seasonal scents are also too good to not mention.  Crimson Pear Ginger is light, refreshing, and oh-so-holiday, and Vanilla Quince Santal is warm and enveloping, like freshly-baked Christmas cookies.         



Diptyque's Ciel candle-
This one may not make everyone remember the holidays, but for me crisp, clean, open air reminds me of home.  (BTW, Ciel means "the sky" in French).  This scent reminds me of my grandfather in a way. He would always come home from a fishing trip or something of that nature, and he'd bring the smell of the outside in the door with him.  This candle brings back such fond memories for me.  Unfortunately this is a limited-edition candle so I'm going to need to stock up.  This candle is part of Diptyque's Minä Perhonen collection, inspired by Japanese poems by Akira Minagawa.  Each candle from these collaboration comes with a Minagawa poem, and the poem inside the Ciel candle (The Sky Knows) is particularly heart-wrenching for me, especially around this time of year.  The scent is as light and fresh as the sky, with notes of rice powder, sweet dew, and iris powder.  If light and fresh is not your thing and you're looking for something a little more woody to bring back those childhood memories, try Infini from the Minä Perhonen collection.      

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...