Sephora.com, Inc.

Jul 7, 2014

I've been a bad, bad girl

Before I left for my weekend jaunt to Martha’s Vineyard with my boyfriend, I preached to anybody who would listen about how important sunscreen is.  I packed like 1,000 sunscreens, from amazing new ones I just found out about, to old favorites.  So you may be surprised to learn that I got a wicked sunburn all over my legs.  Sigh.  I made a rookie mistake and went out to read Saturday morning in the sun with no sun protection.  Completely enthralled in my latest book, I didn’t notice that I was getting a burn.  It sure didn’t look like I was.  I mean, it was FREEZING outside and I had goosebumps up and down my arms, so clearly I wasn’t thinking that I’d get burnt.  Well I was so, so very wrong.  Now going to put on a pair of jeans is like someone raking me over hot coals, so I beg you, please use sunscreen regardless of whether or not you THINK you might get burnt.  I’m usually so nuts about wearing REALLY high SPF’s that I can’t believe I’ve done this to myself.  But now that I have, 1) please learn from my mistakes, and 2) take note of some amazing after-sun products that you can use if you ever have to deal with a lobster-status sunburn.


Alba Botanica Very Emollient After Sun - 98% Aloe Vera Gel  
It's really hard for me to walk into a Whole Foods and walk out without some sort of product from Alba Botanica.  (I swear that their Good & Clean line has changed my life, but I digress).  After this weekend's little mishap, I'm happy to have their After Sun Aloe Vera Gel on hand to calm my skin.  I keep my aloe assortment in the fridge for times like these, but I like Alba because it is certified by the International Aloe Science Council.  Bet you didn't know a place like that existed!  But it does, and the point is that not all Aloe Vera Gels are created equal.  This one is top notch, and it just works.  Like all Alba products, you can expect only natural ingredients.  No parabens, sulfates, or artificial colors here.  Oh, and there's also a After Sun Aloe Vera Lotion that has green tea and Vitamin E in it.  Don't worry, you can thank me later.          


JĀSÖN Soothing Aloe Vera Organic Oil
Speaking of brands that I can't resist buying whilst at Whole Foods, Jason has a great Aloe Vera oil that is USDA Certified, that is also free of sulfates, parabens, and artificial colors.  This guy is great to just have on hand year round for any type of irritated skin.  It's as great for sunburns as it is for windburns, dry skin, chapped skin, or minor wounds.  Rumor has it that it's even good for people who are susceptible to acne scarring.  And, quite frankly, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than the fancy skin oils I've grown to love so much.  Why pay $40 for a luxury oil where the ingredient list bunch of stuff you can't pronounce, when you can buy this all-natural goodness for under $10?

Arcona Chamomile Balm
Since we all know that aloe=awesome, I'd like to take a moment to give chamomile some props as well.  While Arcona's Chamomile Balm is not meant only for sunburns, it can be helpful in calming your skin after one, or after certain intense cosmetic treatments like chemical peels.  Like the oil above, it's great for winter skin or summer skin.  This guy contains Blue Chamomile, licorice extract, and white tea (among other things) to really reduce redness and take away the pain that certain skin conditions can cause.  While it calms, it's helping to plump the skin and protect against future damage as well.               




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...