Sephora.com, Inc.

Apr 28, 2013

Re-embracing my curly hair

I'm definitely one of those "you always want what you don't have" type of girls.  I always had great, bouncy curls, but spent a long time trying to straighten them out.  I finally embraced my curls a few years back, and it was a glorious moment, until I actually lost the curls.  True story: I switched my birth control, lost a ton of hair, and lost most of the curl.  I ended up with this not-quite-straight texture that doesn't really do much.  As someone who spent a long time trying to get my hair to be straight, I actually had a sick-in-the-head moment where I thought it was gonna be a good thing.  Yay, no more curls!  Well that was pretty dumb because I ended up with a lifeless 'do, and it was actually scary thin.  The birth control had other nasty effects (weight gain, migraines, etc) so I'm off it now, but hello, hair doesn't grow back overnight.  So now that I have this lame sort of straight, but not really, thin, flat hair on my head, I'm trying to encourage some sort of texture.  
Here are some of the products that are helping me on my crazy hair journey:  


Curl Recovery Melt-Down Extreme Repair Mask
Ouidad Curl Recovery Melt-Down Extreme Repair Mask ($40) 
Every curly girl knows that a deep conditioner is essential in keeping those curls bouncy and healthy.  This mask contains Mafura Butter and Kalahari Melon Seed Oil to envelope the hair shaft in moisture.  While you're luxuriating in a mask with a subtle warming sensation, it's working hair at restoring the protective layer of the hair shaft to promote incredibly smooth curls.    



1      Aveda Be Curly Curl Controller ($21)
      For the ultimate curl definition, this has become my go-to product.  It defines the curls without weighing them down or making them feel crunchy.  The formula smoothes, reduces frizz, and conditions with plant actives like organic babassu, kukui, and sunflower oils.  Not to mention it smells great because of organic lemon, lime, bergamot, and orange flower essence.    


BangStyle Light Sea Salt Mist ($17) 
Sometimes controlling my curls is not what I need, but creating them.  This lightweight Sea Salt Mist helps to create texture in my hair, but without weighing it down or making it feel dry.  The sea salt is what creates the texture, but added ingredients like kelp help to keep my moisture.  Not to mention it's free of harsh ingredients like sodium chloride, parabens, and sulfates, so my curls will remain healthy in the long run.      

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...