Sephora.com, Inc.

Jun 14, 2010

Beauty By Benz exclusive Interview with Rebecca Minkoff


Rebecca Minkoff has made a name for herself in the designer handbag world in just a few short years. Socialites, celebs, and normal humans alike are seen toting these rocker-esque bags around daily (see my new linear stud satchel below!). However, RM actually got her start designing clothes, and is now a brand where you can go to get these amazing bags, a beautiful outfit, and the accessories to top it all off. I was fortunate enough to be able to ask Rebecca Minkoff a few questions on how she got her start and what inspired her for her fall collection.

Benz: You moved to NY right after high school to start your career as a fashion designer. That's a scary age! What was that like?
RM: At 17, I was not interested in college, and my brother knew Craig Taylor (a fashion designer) and called him up to see if he could get me an internship. So I moved to NYC to begin this internship and I worked alongside Craig Taylor for the next two years. The CEO allowed me to work on my own clothing line when I had free time during the day.

Benz: Where do you draw your inspiration from?
RM: I get a lot of my inspiration from the vintage pieces that I find and traveling throughout Europe.

Benz: How do you come up with the names for your bags?
RM: I like making the names flirty and playful, just like the bags. I typically draw from boy situations in my own life to inspire the names; such as Infatuation, Trust, Crush, or Lust.

Benz: What can RM fans expect to see from your Fall clothing collection?
RM: My Fall 2010 collection’s theme is Paris Je t’aime, and it has Parisian influences. The collection is all about what I want to wear when I can't be in Paris all the time.

Benz: What was the smartest career move you feel you've made in your journey as a designer?
RM: After 9/11 business picked up for me. By fluke I did a shirt that said “I Love New York” and I cut it up and made it funky and sent it to my friend Jenna Elfman on September 9th just for her to wear. She got it September 13th and wore it on Jay Leno. He asked about the shirt and then it was everywhere. It was my jump start. My boss told me to leave my job and go start my own line because I was so busy creating this shirt.

Benz: Any beauty tips/style tips you can give my readers?
RM: My best beauty and style advice is to just be yourself. The more comfortable you are in your own skin, the better you will look!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...